Tuesday 14 October 2014

OUGD603 - Extended Practice: Tigerprint (Development)

I completed a brief for Tigerprint last year but left it a little too close to the deadline so I wasn't extremely happy with the outcome. This is why this year I have decided to complete another brief but this time focused on something with is currently of great interest to me, as it falls under the branch of stationery. 

The brief is asking for a pattern to be applied to Marks and Spencer Christmas wrapping paper. As I am focusing on the food industry for my COP3, I thought it would make sense for me to research into Marks and Spencer food for this brief, and illustrate some examples.


I had a look at their website and collected as many relevant imagery as I possibly could. A lot of the food was photographed in a bowl, or packaged and so therefore the food product wasn't necessarily on show. This is why I decided to source some simple vector images off the internet, simply to have a visual reference to work with. 


Below are the illustrations I have done, using the reference images above. I used a biro and purposely made all of the images slightly rough and imperfect, as I wanted to create a set of illustrations similar to my Pooch Pouch I designed back in first year, as I was really pleased with the overall outcome of that. 





Once I had scanned my illustrations into the computer, I then decided to scan a piece of brown paper in to use as a background, once again inspired by the Pooch Pouch work I produced in first year. I wanted to see whether the aesthetic would work with a simple black line illustration, and I feel as though it does.


I then created a bit more of an organised pattern with all of the illustrations. I am really pleased with the outcome of this design so far and love how fast paced it has been.


By applying the pattern to the brown paper in the background, I feel as though it really brings it all to life. I absolutely love using brown recycled stock and haven't had much of an opportunity to do so throughout the course, apart from one project. 



Below are all of the screenshots taken from when I submitted my design to the Tigerprint website. We were asked to write our the story behind the design, so this is portrayed below:





Here I have created a mock up to show what the end bag and tag may look like. When it comes to me physically creating a gift range, I may end up changing the concept completely to make it a bit more challenging for myself though, but this is something I can consider at a later date when I have more time to spend on it. 


This is just what the wrapping paper would look like on a large sheet of the brown stock. When I continue with this brief, I am going to get this printed properly and create either a roll of gift wrap, or a packet containing sheets of it. 


I found this bag mock up online and thought I would apply my pattern to it. This would almost act as a bag for life rather than a gift bag, which is great in the long-term as it is sustainable and reusable.


I am really looking forward to developing this brief further after Christmas. Ideally, I would have liked to have pushed it further before then, but I have been working on a total of 8 briefs as well as my COP3, so didn't really have a substantial amount of time to work on this brief and achieve everything I wanted to. 

Even though Christmas will be over by the time we come back, I still feel as though I can apply the same aesthetic, or maybe even explore a completely new style in the New Year, to create my very own stationery range. 

No comments:

Post a Comment